Tips for Trail Use
Hike at your own risk along the Chicopee Woods Trail System.
- Dogs are not permitted Monday through Friday on the Elachee campus or on the Hiking Trails. This restriction is in place to protect school and camp groups visiting the campus and to comply with Elachee’s licensure requirements.
- Dogs must remain on leashes at all times to protect children, wildlife and your pet!
- Pet waste must be removed from the Nature Preserve.
- Leashed pets are welcome Saturday and Sunday.
- No Horses are permitted on the Hiking Trails.
Practice "Leave No Trace"
Take pictures and make memories. Leave only footprints.
- No Bikes on the Hiking Trails.
- No Hunting or Fishing in the Nature Preserve.
- No collecting plants, animals, rocks or removing other natural materials from the Nature Preserve.
- Pack-In, Pack-Out – no littering. There are no trash cans along the trails.
- Dress appropriately for the season and weather conditions.
- Trail conditions vary according to the weather. Bridges may ice over and slopes become slippery.
- Bring water with you and carry plenty of it – hiking is a thirsty business.
- There are no restroom facilities along the trails or at Chicopee Lake.
Restrooms, water and snacks are available at the Elachee Visitor Center during operating hours. HOURS
Think Before You Touch
- Be alert. Give wild creatures living along the trails and in the woods a wide berth.
- Most plants along the trails and in the woods are “people-friendly,” but a few like poison ivy are not. Learn to identify problem plants and give them a wide berth, too.
- Resist the temptation to put your fingers in interesting holes along the trails to avoid providing some critter a snack!
Problems on the Trails
- See a tree down, notice something that needing maintenance?
Report to Elachee at 770-535-1976 or EMAIL US.
- Call 911 in case of emergency.
- Reference the trail you are on and the nearest mile marker. Remember these markers are every 0.25 mile along each trail.
- If you are near the Elachee Visitor Center, give this address: 2125 Elachee Drive, Gainesville.
- If you are near the Elachee Aquatic Studies Center at Chicopee Lake, give this address: 2100 Calvary Church Road, Gainesville.