Elachee Invites You to a Pre-Eclipse Astronomy Day
Saturday, August 19 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Elachee experts will help prepare you to safely experience the awe-inspiring eclipse of the Sun that will blanket northeast Georgia on Monday, August 21, 2017.
Program Fee: Pay at the Gate
- General Admission: $10 per person (2 years and up)
- Elachee Member Admission: $5 per person (2 years and up)
- Admission fee includes solar eclipse safety glasses for each paid guest (while supplies last), along with entry to Elachee’s Visitor Center Natural History and Live Animal Exhibits. IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the current demand for solar eclipse safety glasses, Elachee will not sell additional glasses to paid guests. If any glasses remain at the conclusion of the festival, Elachee will sell these through the Nature Shop until 5 p.m. Saturday.
Festival Location and Parking
- Elachee Visitor Center, 2125 Elachee Drive, Gainesville, GA 30504 MAP / DIRECTIONS
- Parking Attendants will direct you to designated parking area(s).
Shuttles will be running to/from designated parking areas throughout the event, courtesy of Hayes Chrysler Dodge Jeep of Gainesville.
Things to Do at the Festival
STARLAB Portable Planetarium
Participate in Elachee’s highly acclaimed Seeing Stars program inside the STARLAB. Programs are 30 minutes and start at 10:15 a.m. NOTE: Due to limited seating in STARLAB, at admission, you will be assigned a STARLAB viewing session time. Want a sneak peek? WATCH VIDEO
Safely view the surface of the sun through solar telescopes, under the guidance of Elachee's skilled naturalist team. Viewing is first come, first serve throughout the event. Telescopes will be set up in the parking lot.
Solar Eclipse 2017 Presentation
- Hear astronomer and senior Elachee Naturalist Robert Webb as he discusses what to expect during the Solar Eclipse 2017 and how to prepare. Sessions are 30 minutes each (11 a.m., 11:45 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.)
- Also learn from Elachee Historian Slywester Ratowt as he shares fascinating details about the history of eclipses. This session is 30 minutes and starts at 10:15 a.m.
Make a solar eclipse craft sure to come in handy on August 21, 2017.
Kona Ice of Greater Gainesville will be on site with their fun truck offering a refreshing selection of shaved ice flavors!
Check out all the great items in our retail store. Beverages and light snacks will be sold here during the event. Remember, Elachee Members receive a 10% discount on all purchases, every visit!
Top 10 Things to Know about the Solar Eclipse: Blog Post
Dress Rehearsal for the Real Thing: Press Release